eader

Wednesday, July 1, 2009

July 2009: Can I establish a routine in 31 days?

The NaBloPoMo blogging theme for July is ROUTINE. I'm going to be honest and tell you that I wasn't really planning to blog every day in July until I saw this theme. See, now that I am disabled and spend most of my days at home, I am keenly aware that I have a profound lack of routine in my life. At least I THINK I do ... it may be a case of not realizing I have a new routine because I keep comparing my life now with my life pre-disability and, well, the differences are striking.

Pre-disability, I worked full-time and let my job be the cornerstone building block of my routine. Basically everything else that wasn't work or work-related was labeled "free time" and I could do whatever I wanted with my free time. So when I became dis
abled, suddenly I was living free time 24/7/365, minus my previous ability to do whatever I wanted, whenever I wanted, for how long and how much I wanted to do it. I now have a glut of free time and a limited physical and mental capability to take advantage of it!

Recently in the CFIDS/FM Self Help group I identified a new goal for myself and some strategies to achieve it:

I believe that the goal that corresponds to where I am at right now is the goal of Creating a New Life. As I reviewed the materials from the Self Help 2 course, certain options under several of the chapters sort of jumped out at me. I think these represent the tasks that have been more difficult, more troublesome and more challenging for me to master as I have shifted my focus from devoting so much time to "treating" my FM/CFIDS to learning how to "live my best life" with FM/CFIDS. These options are:

1) Exercise
I definitely have some form of post-exertional fatigue related to my dysautonomia. Despite multiple attempts at trying to find exercise that works for me, I had not been successful at creating a regular exercise routine. I need to complete my assessment and consultation with the Workwell Foundation to *hopefully* complete this option.

2) Organize and De-Clutter
My home is a mess and I need to organize and remove the clutter. It is both psychologically (looking at it) and physically (i.e. trying to find something) draining.

3) Create a Routine
I think that my life would be easier if I tried living a predictable life with routines instead of always "winging it". I have never been much of a routine kind of girl---having a job used to be what created the routine in my life. I need to start looking a creating a daily, weekly and monthly routine/schedule. This is definitely a huge challenge for me...

4) Shorten Activity Periods
I need to refine how active I am by:
  • inserting more breaks into work periods
  • breaking activities into smaller pieces and doing one piece per day throughout the week, rather than trying to do it all in one or two days
  • using a timer and stopping when time is up

5) Take Pre-Emptive Rests
I have not mastered taking planned rests on a regular basis . I can lie down with my eyes closed in a quiet place, I just have never gotten to a point where this has become a habit or part of my routine. I want to routinely set aside one or more periods for rest every day.

6) Practice Gratitude
I want to develop the habit of journaling every day (just 5 lines in a 5 year diary) my favorite moments from the day so I can focus on the positive things that are happening in my life.

7) Personal Rules
I do have personal rules that protect me from doing too much. I need to take the next step and write out my rules and share them with my family and friends.
See how any times I mention routine? It's obviously something I've already identified as needing my time, attention and focus. It must be kismet that July is ROUTINE month; is it a sign that it must be time for me to develop my new routine?

So on July 31, 2009 I'll be answering the question: Can I establish a routine in 31 days?


Creative Commons License

Like this post? Then please...


Submit it to your favorite social sites.




Share it with PrintFriendly alternatives.

Print Friendly and PDF
Related Posts with Thumbnails

Reply to this post