eader

Saturday, July 11, 2009

What have I learned so far about minimizing my symptoms? - Part 2

hello and good dayImage by rocketlass via Flickr

Today is a better day. Taking a break and resting after my over-the-limit activity on Wednesday once again worked. I cut the impending flare-up off and I am back to my routine energy limit of 2 to 4 hours once again.

So I didn't really get to fully answer the question:
What have I learned so far about minimizing these symptoms? There is definitely more to the answer than I was able to articulate the other day.

Really the key to minimizing my symptoms is
My Personal Rules. Here is my first draft:

  • Resting when needed
  • Sleeping as well as possible at night
  • Taking medications (over-the-counter and prescription) as needed
  • Being aware of how much energy I have each day and scheduling my activities accordingly: pacing, planning, saying no, rescheduling as needed
  • Doing something fun every day
  • Making activities "fibro-friendly", i.e. gardening becomes fibro-friendly container gardening
  • Following the Golden Guideline: Pace = Play, Push = Pay
  • Limiting social activities outside the home to no more than once a week
  • Making my home a quiet sanctuary
  • Seeking help from others when needed
  • Finding a balance between treating my chronic health problems and living my life
  • Learning to live my best life despite chronic illness
  • Being open to trying new things to treat my health problems
  • Setting up trial periods to evaluate if something is working and stopping if I am not getting any benefits
  • Making a "NOT TO DO" list and delegating tasks I really have no business doing in my condition
  • When a flare-up begins, cancel plans, limit activities and increase rest until the increased symptoms dissipate
This list is a work in progress and I promise by the end of July will have a complete list of My Personal Rules and a completed "Not To Do" list.


Reblog this post [with Zemanta]


Creative Commons License

Like this post? Then please...


Submit it to your favorite social sites.




Share it with PrintFriendly alternatives.

Print Friendly and PDF
Related Posts with Thumbnails

Reply to this post